- It allows us to maintain the security of cookies and such on the WordPress.com domain.
- Embeds and other rich media wreck havoc on WYSIWYG editors; this is far easier for people to copy, paste, and move around.
- The code is generally much shorter than the equivalent HTML code.
- We can update the translated HTML while leaving the shortcode the same.
- We can display the most appropriate content to mobile clients, web feeds and other forms of consumption.
- We track how much different external services are used, for example we know there have been hundreds of thousands of posts with embedded YouTube videos.
- A closer relationship with partners.
- We can promote the embeds we support in the posting interface.
We receive many requests to add support for new services and embed codes. We have already integrated the embedding features our publishers most often demand, but we are always open to new and interesting content and services not already on our radar. If you are an embed service provider, you can improve the attractiveness of your service to WordPress.com and its publishers through a few simple steps:
- Having an existing WordPress plugin meeting our embed prerequisites.
- Promote your integration with WordPress to your users.
- Affiliate programs or revenue sharing.