We want to help you build great apps by providing efficient access and use of WordPress.com data through our APIs. We also want to ensure that everyone in our developer community honors the high standards of integrity, performance and privacy and that our users expect from Automattic.
When using our APIs, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
Refresh User Data Frequently. Your app may cache or store WordPress.com content or data – but please refresh any data that you store at a reasonable interval.
Please don’t abuse the API. Use of our API is free. We just ask that you not abuse it by making excessive calls through your apps. Also, it goes without saying that we don’t permit using our APIs to enable spam, phishing or other types of fraud or malware.
One more thing – APIs like ours enable the kind of collaboration that makes the Internet great. We don’t think APIs are copyrightable subject matter, and have updated our terms to clarify that we don’t claim copyright in our APIs.
To the extent possible under law, Automattic, Inc. has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to the declarative code that is necessary for function calls to the Automattic APIs as well as the structure, sequence and organization of the Automattic APIs. For clarity, this CC0 disclaimer does not apply to any software or code that has not been released or made public in source code form by Automattic via the API docs. For more specific information, please see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/.
2. Restrictions and Requirements.
By using the Automattic APIs to interact with the Automattic systems, you agree to:
- provide true and accurate information about yourself and your App when requested by Automattic.
- inform users about how your App copies, caches, stores or retains any Content or data, and refresh any stored or cached Content or data at a reasonable interval.
- publish content to WordPress.com using the Automattic APIs only in accordance with the WordPress.com Terms of Service.
And agree not to:
- place excessive API calls to Automattic’s systems or otherwise overburden Automattic systems, as determined by Automattic in its sole discretion.
- share or misuse your API token.
- use or allow the use of Automattic APIs or any App to send or facilitate the sending of unsolicited communications or for any fraudulent purpose, including phishing.
- modify, decompile, reverse engineer or otherwise alter or seek to derive the trade secrets and other inherent intellectual property of the Automattic APIs.
- use the Automattic APIs (i) to create or enable any App, website, tool, or other mechanism that is, or enables, or operates in conjunction with, any malware, spyware, adware, other malicious programs or code, or (ii) in any manner that would violate any applicable law or governmental regulation.
- display, cache or store user passwords.
- display, distribute, or otherwise make available content or data to governmental entities for intelligence gathering or surveillance purposes.
3. Publicity. You may publicize that your application uses Automattic APIs, but you may not (i) issue any press release, or (ii) otherwise use the “Automattic” or “WordPress” name, any of the Automattic or WordPress logos, or any trademark, service mark, trade name, or trade dress of Automattic or any of its brands in any manner related to your use of Automattic APIs without the express written consent and approval of Automattic.
5. Disclaimer of Warranties. Automattic makes no warranties of any kind with respect to the Automattic APIs.
6. Limitation of Liability. Automattic will not have any liability to you arising out of these Terms and Conditions or the Automattic APIs for any indirect, incidental, consequential, special, exemplary, or punitive damages under any theory of liability arising out of or relating in any way to Automattic APIs. As a condition to receiving free access to the Automattic APIs to access the Automattic systems, you expressly agree and understand that Automattic’s aggregate liability under this agreement is limited to $5.00.
7. Indemnification. You will indemnify, defend, and hold Automattic, its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, and employees, harmless from any and all claims, damages, losses, liabilities, actions, judgments, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) brought by a third party arising out of or in connection with: (i) any act or omission by you, in connection with your use of the Automattic APIs, (ii) your breach or alleged breach of any of these terms; or (iii) your App(s). Automattic may, at its option, elect to take over control of the defense and settlement of a claim subject to indemnification. You agree not to settle any such claim without the prior written consent of Automattic.